For the month of September 2016, I will be writing a series of four posts describing how to use the lunar cycle to consciously manifest your desires. This post is the first of the series – New Moon Intentions!
For an introduction to conscious manifestation, please see Conscious Manifestation 101
Setting New Moon intentions is so much more than just New Age spiritual hocus pocus. Our ancestors have been working with the natural energetic cycles of the moon for thousands of years and for good reason! I personally think that one of the main reasons why people have a hard time with conscious manifestation is because they are not working with the natural energy flow of the Earth. When the natural flows of energy aren’t considered during your attempts at conscious manifestation, you may begin to feel like you are “working against the current” or like “the whole world is against you”. When you feel like you are working against the current, chances are that you are probably right. But do not allow yourself to be defeated just yet! Learn to work with the natural energy currents and improve your conscious manifestation skills!
For thousands of years, humanity has initiated ventures on the New Moon like planting crops, getting married and beginning trips. The practice of working with the lunar phases persisted until only a few decades ago.
Why set New Moon Intentions?
The Earth is under the influence of the gravitational fields of both the Sun and the Moon. During the New Moon, the Moon is in line with the Sun and therefore their gravitational fields are both pulling on the Earth in the same direction. For reasons unknown (to me) this creates an energetic atmosphere that is fertile for creative inspiration, including conscious manifestation. Setting New Moon intentions is like planting a seed.
How to Set Your New Moon Intentions
There are many New Moon rituals that can be very effective, what is important is your focus and your intention. Many gifted individuals have gotten so good at manifesting that all they have to do is send the intention out and receive the manifestation later. Even these masters had to start somewhere and ritual is a great way to learn how to focus and consciously manifest your desires into the physical realm. In this post, I will share with you a simple New Moon Intentions ritual that I’ve been using for years!
You will need the following items for this ritual:
- A vessel for burning herbs and small pieces of paper
- Matches or Candle
- Herbs (carrying similar vibrations to that of your intention)
- 5 Crystals (carrying similar vibrations to that of your intention)
- Piece of cloth
- Small piece of paper
For this ritual, it is best done outside under the New Moon but if that is not possible, do the ritual near an open window. For my New Moon ritual I use prairie sage and wild tobacco as my herbs and I use crystals that align with my intention.
- Prepare your ritual area. Lay down the piece of cloth and place the vessel in the centre. Smudge your area with sage or similar cleansing herbs to purify your area and your objects. Allow the remaining smudge to smolder while you work through the next steps.
- Write your intention down on the paper. Beginners should focus on one intention at a time. Really focus on your energy going into your intention, beginning in your heart chakra and shooting down your arms and out your fingertips and onto the page.
- Add more herbs to your smudge. Light the piece of paper on fire and allow it to burn with the herbs inside the vessel. For a vessel, I use an abalone shell but you can also use a clay pot, a brass incense burner or even a glass dish. Visualize the energy behind your intention transforming from physical energy (energy originating from the physical realm) into spiritual energy (light energy) during the process of burning. Visualize the smoke as a representation of your intention moving through the veil between the physical and spiritual realms.
- Bathe your crystals in the smoke resulting from the smoldering herbs and paper. This process is actually charging your crystals with your intention. You may also use the smoke to charge other objects with the energy of your intention.
- Allow your smudge to burn out on its own. I like to bury these ashes in my flower bed but you can also disperse them into the wind.
- Place a charged crystal at each of the four main corners of your house or apartment. Carry the fifth one with you.
Make this ritual your own and add your own little tweaks to give it your own energetic signature!
If you’re going to be successful in your conscious manifestation attempts, you must follow your intention through until the next New Moon. During the Waxing Moon you will continue to contribute to the energy of your intention. During the Full Moon you will receive the physical manifestation of your intention. During the Waning Moon you will give thanks and purge your energies in preparation for the next New Moon.
My next post will discuss what you need to do during the days between the New Moon and the Full Moon, also known as the Waxing Moon. The Waxing Moon is a period of build up. We can use this time to reinforce our intentions with affirmations and continue to build up the energy behind chosen intentions.